Thursday, November 5, 2009

3^2x-1=5^x I am having trouble solving this since the bases are not the same and I am unclear how to use Ln or Log to solve even though I know I...

Hello!


I think your equation is


`3^(2x-1)=5^x,`


not


`3^(2x)-1=5^x.`


For the first option yes, apply `ln` to both sides (they are both positive). It is known (and not hard) that `ln(a^b)=b*ln(a).`


Here we obtain `(2x-1)*ln(3)=x*ln(5).`


It is a linear equation for x, group like terms:


`x*(2ln(3)-ln(5))=ln(3),`  so


`x=(ln(3))/(2ln(3)-ln(5)) approx 1.869.`


This is the answer for the first option.


I believe the second option cannot be solved exactly, although it has exactly one root and it is in (0, 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What was the device called which Faber had given Montag in order to communicate with him?

In Part Two "The Sieve and the Sand" of the novel Fahrenheit 451, Montag travels to Faber's house trying to find meaning in th...