Sunday, November 28, 2010

What are ways the meanings of words can hinder communication?

The meaning of words can hinder communication in several ways. First, if a communication partner does not know the meaning of a word used, they will be unable to understand the full meaning of the conversation. For example, if I said, "That child is rambunctious" and my partner does not know what "rambunctious" means, we are having a communication breakdown and the point of my sentence is completely lost. Another reason that word meaning can hinder communication would be if a word has multiple meanings. If I said, "I scaled the fish" and my partner does not know that this can mean to remove the scales of a fish, but instead thinks this means that I put the fish on a scale and weighed it, our conversation would take a very different turn and comprehension would be compromised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What was the device called which Faber had given Montag in order to communicate with him?

In Part Two "The Sieve and the Sand" of the novel Fahrenheit 451, Montag travels to Faber's house trying to find meaning in th...