Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm writing my final and I need to write an argumentative essay regarding any piece of literature of my choosing. I decided to choose the Hunger...

I believe this topic is an argumentative one—it just depends on how you phrase it. When writing argumentative essays, I have always found it helpful to come up with a debate question of sorts (or really just a yes or no question) that could have as an answer the topic of the paper. So, for your situation, the debate question you could be trying to answer might be something like: Is there social significance in The Hunger Games? (or) Is Suzanne Collins trying to comment on today's society by means of her novel, The Hunger Games?


For either of those questions, your argument would be: Yes, there is social significance (or) Yes, she is trying to comment on today's society. And to back up your claim, you compare those examples from the book to examples in today's society: the big brother government is like our government's large presence, or something to that effect.


I have found that you can make pretty much any topic an argumentative one if you word it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What was the device called which Faber had given Montag in order to communicate with him?

In Part Two "The Sieve and the Sand" of the novel Fahrenheit 451, Montag travels to Faber's house trying to find meaning in th...