Thursday, September 18, 2014

Can you think of a time in your life when you outgrew something and gave up? Did you replace this item (or habit or attitude) with something else?

For quite a long period of my life, from middle school through post-college, I was very serious about trying to be a good runner. I ran track and cross country and had gotten to the point where I was often running 90-100 miles a week in order to try and get stronger and faster. I'd structured quite a lot of my life around being able to fit in that training and racing. I had a few setbacks all in a row, an injury, a bout of overtraining, etc., and basically started to see that I simply didn't have the motivation to keep up all the long hours of training when I felt like I was seeing diminishing returns.


In the end, I did replace racing and being competitive on the track with trying to learn to race a bicycle as it provided a new outlet and one where I could actually get better instead of just prolonging the decline. So in my case I replaced the outlet for my competitive desire but didn't really change the habit or attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What was the device called which Faber had given Montag in order to communicate with him?

In Part Two "The Sieve and the Sand" of the novel Fahrenheit 451, Montag travels to Faber's house trying to find meaning in th...